Thursday, October 8, 2009

First Good News in a LONG LONG LONGGGGGGGGG time!

Well, I did it. I finally had an interview. Well I shouldn't say FINALLY since I did have an interview a couple of months ago but I'm still not convinced it was a real position so alas, my first interview since being laid off! Yay!!!

The way it happened was COMPLETELY out of the blue but it happened and that's the important part right?! I applied for a Director of Marketing & Promotions position at Western Carolina University in June. Didn't hear anything until I got called for a phone interview in August (really?!?! 2 months!). I thought it went really well but when I didn't hear from them in the 2 weeks they said it would take, I assumed they moved on. NOPE! One of my references messaged me about calling the contact back to talk about me 2 weeks ago (end of September, almost another 2 months!).

They obviously liked what they heard because she called me the next day and set up an interview for Wednesday! WCU is in Cullowhee, NC ... 40 miles west of Asheville and in the middle of nowhere! The interview went really well (in my opinion); I met with 11 different people at the school - my would be supervisor, 2 head coaches, 1 assistant coach, 2 media relation folks, ticket office manager, academic director, SWA, AD, and student affairs. To say it was a full day would be an understatement!

The best part of the whole experience was that I wasn't nervous - at all! Everyone told me I would be great in the position (duh!) and to be confident in myself and I think that shined through. They seemed really impressed with the ideas that I was bringing to the table and even tried to get to know me on a social basis (not so professional, ya know?).

It ended with them telling me they have 1 more candidate to bring in (3 of us total) early next week and then hope to make a decision soon after. I'm thinking I'll hear fairly soon - early November at the latest. I have a lot to think about though. I've made some major strides since moving to Atlanta in terms of me as a whole, complete person and I don't know if a move to such a remote area would be healthy for me. I can see myself falling back into bad ways. On the other hand, it would be a GREAT PHENOMENAL EXCELLENT career move. I'd be the Director of Marketing and Promotions at a Division 1-AA school. And from what everyone said, I would pretty much have free reign to do what I wanted to do as long as I got students and paying customers in some seats. There isn't a large budget ... but when is there ever!?!?

I'm trying to do this one on my own ... I asked my family to delay telling me their opinions until I have some time to think about it. I don't want anyone to sway my decision either way. Right now, there's one big pro and one big con ... past that, I'm just not sure.

And as I'm sure you have an opinion, be sure I'll be asking you for it in the upcoming days. Just not tomorrow :)

Deuces.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know when or if you wanna talk but sounds like a good move- Good job big head

    ReplyDelete